Mildew is often mistaken as mold because they grow in pretty much the same places as each other. In fact, both kinds of fungus have similar patterns of growth but can be distinguished from each other by their coloring. While mold has a variety of color; black, dark green, orange, white and others; mildew initially starts out as white or a dirty white and then changes to other lighter colors. Some people, even experts, mistakenly label mildew as mold because of this. In fact, household mildew is interchangeable with mold because most of the time, mildew grows on organic materials and plants. Mildew also grow flat while mold may be fuzzy and a few centimeters high.
Health issues of both fungi on humans are very similar, although mold might have more devastating effects. Mildew usually affects plants and can create issues with the health of the plants that it grows on. Even though its effect on humans is not so bad, it is advisable to remove mildew as soon as it is noticed. Symptoms of mildew exposure include, but are not limited to:
- post nasal drip
- a runny nose
- watery eyes
An effective mildew remover is necessary to thoroughly get rid of it. Since it is a fungus, just like mold, it follows that what kills mold also has a higher chance of getting rid of mildew.
Bleach is a very effective mold and mildew remover that can be easily bought and used. Although a lot of people might think that using straight bleach is effective, it can just as easily tear a hole on delicate fabrics if it is not diluted. Experts recommend using a diluted version of bleach, water and a little bit of detergent to clean up mold and mildew.
Exposure to air and sunlight can also get rid of mildew quite easily. Since mildew usually grows in bathrooms, kitchens and basements (areas which are dark and damp) it is a good idea to crack open the windows of these areas and let the air circulate. The use of a dehumidifier can also increase the success rate of getting rid of mildew. Allow sunlight to stream into the rooms when possible. The use of artificial light in rooms with no access to sunlight can also be effective although the home owner might have to leave the light on for an extended period of time.
White vinegar is a natural solution to mildew growth. Home owners can even use it full strength (steeping clothes with mildew growth in pure vinegar) or dilute it with water and put in a sprayer to apply on bathroom walls. The odor might be bothersome, especially when full strength is used but a thorough spin in the washing machine using detergent and fabric softener should do the trick. Do this after scrubbing the steeped clothes with a firm brush. For delicate fabrics, use a fine, soft toothbrush.
Tea tree oil is also quite effective as a mildew remover. The two teaspoons of the essential oil can be diluted in two cups of water and sprayed on the fabric or surface where mildew has grown. Some light scrubbing might be needed to remove the remnants of the growth. It can also be added to a water and vinegar solution to get rid of the strong vinegar smell.
These are just a few of the more effective removers that work to get rid of mildew and even mold. In spite of the easy ways to get rid of mildew, it is always better to prevent their growth. Regular airing of the bathroom and the kitchen should work well in preventing mildew and mold growth. If you need more help:Moldremovaldoctor.com
The author does not allow comments to this entry